Gin has been traced back to European Doctors as early as the 1600s. It was first used as an infusion or tea of botanicals to cure various ailments. We speculate that alcohol was then added to provide a bit of tipple with the medicine. These are the primary botanicals in our proprietary blend.
This is not to suggest that Gin replace your Doctor. We just find it amazing that these natural products have such a rich history.
1. Juniper Berries – Traditional to Gin, the alpha pinene compound provides the astringency. It assists digestion, settles the stomach and reduces gas. Its diuretic properties have been rumored to reduce fluid retention around sore joints.
2. Coriander Seeds - This is the next most prevalent botanical. It is rumored to ease arthritis symptoms with its anti inflammatory properties. It also lowers LDL cholesterol.
3. Licorice root - This is common in cough syrup. It soothes bronchial and sore throat issues.
4. Cinnamon - This inhibits bacterial growth and is an effective food preservative. It is actually prescribed by Naturopaths to reduce yeast infections. It also has been used to control blood sugars.
5. Lemon peel zest – A good source of Vitamin C which helps colds have a more difficult time to get established. It also tastes good.
6. Lime peel zest – Same as above.
7. Cardamom Seeds – We are getting down to trace elements here. This is also called grains of paradise. It detoxifies the body, reduces bad breath and improves circulation to the lungs.
8. Cumin seeds – This is the main ingredient in Curry. It aids digestion by stimulating pancreatic enzymes and has been shown to be able to control growth
9.Cloves – This is a powerful antioxidant. Oil of cloves is used by dentists to relieve gum pain during oral surgery.
10. Fennel seeds – Fennel has been proven to be able to protect the liver from some toxic chemical injuries.
11. Caraway Seeds – These have a soothing effect on the gastro intestinal system.
12.Star Anise - This herb has been shown to cure colic in babies. It also eases some flu symptoms.
13. Angelica Root – This herb is used to reduce high blood pressure and relieve menstrual cramps.
14. Lemongrass – Citronella is made from lemon grass. It has a calming effect and is a powerful detoxifier of the liver and digestive system.
There you have it. The combination is very pleasing, and certainly none of the ingredients are bad for you.